Cleaning Instructions for Spa Filter Cartridges
|Filter Cartridge Removal Process
Filter Cartridge Cleaning Process
1. Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the bottom down, holding the nozzle at a 45-degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.
3. Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone.
4. For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is most effective) in (1) a filter cleaner; or (2) one cup tri-sodium phosphate (tsp.) to five gallons of water or use a spray on filter cleaner.
5. Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.
6. If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from the calcium hypochlorite), iron or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.
*WARNING: failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause premature cartridge failure.
7. Rinse the cartridge clean and reassemble housing.